Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The day before the Thanksgiving Celebration

Last year, we stuffed our faces!

This year, we're doing it again and having four more people join us. 

We're making the same brussels sprouts (but doubling them), the same stuffing, and the same turkey.

New this year... Kira made a HUGE carrot salad! <-- She shreds a ton of carrots and adds spices and balsamic vinegar and oil.  It tastes awesome. It was inspired by carrot salads eaten while in France.

Friends are coming and are bringing a wild rice apple walnut salad, cranberry sauce, a green salad, and wine.  So excited!

The girls and I made pumpkin pies ...  (actually Kira and Tia did while Nat and I worked on the tofu turkey). I linked to the recipe version I use for pumpkin pies all the time now.  (It took a lot of trial to figure out what I liked!) I also have a soy free variation for pumpkin pie there.

We're starting the tofu turkey today -- you kind of need to.  You have to drain the tofu, then add spices <-- easiest done in the food processor, then place it in a colander with cheesecloth under it (so you can get it out of the colander) and let it drain some more; as it sits there the flavor of the spices comes out.

You also put it in the colander so you get a round bowl shape to it.  You hollow it out and fill it with stuffing to bake... see http://chefinyou.com/2009/11/18/tofu-turkey-recipe/.  I'll try to get some pictures of mine later. 


Today we have to make:
mashed potatoes and roasted potatoes <-- Kira is doing that.
Gravy <-- me
Turkey <--Nat and me
Sourdough baguette <--buy at whole foods
Dressing/stuffing (Nick cut up the bread yesterday) <--Nat and me
Brussles sprouts <-- Tia

Oh, and I made the cauliflower curry soup so we'd have more already prepared food ahead of time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment