Friday, November 23, 2012

Pumpkin pie report... (Edited--the version I use now after some experimenting)

Remember, I was making pumpkin pies the other night? They came out "okay," but not quite the texture I wanted.  I used corn starch and though they were custard-y, they weren't the texture I envisioned.

I went to the store and got tofu and this is what I made:

2 packages of 3/4 pound silken (soft) tofu
2  15 ounce cans pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/8 - 1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 - 1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cloves (optional)
1 cup maple syrup

This mixture made enough for two pies.  I had one crust so I made one pie and then I poured some dark chocolate chips into a second pie pan with the pie mix and baked it.

I baked at 400 degrees for about half an hour and then covered the pie and baked it for another 3/4s of an hour.  I felt like it was taking forever, but it seemed to need the extra time.  Maybe yours won't need the extra time...I'm not sure what was up!

This pie turned out to be just the texture I wanted.  Yay!  The second pie I made, with no crust and the chocolate chips, is so yummy!  I scooped some of it into my oatmeal this morning.  It was a perfect post-Thanksgiving breakfast.  The girls just had pumpkin pie straight for their breakfast.


Though it was really good, I also want to play around with pumpkin pie recipes from here.  Since it is the holiday season, expect more Pumpkin Pie Posts (nice alliteration) coming soon!

__________________________________


Edited to add that I made a soy free version of my pie with Cashew cream instead of Tofu this year.  I put 2/3s cup of cashews and 1 cup of water in the blender and made cashew cream.  I think added the rest of the ingredients and blended (here are the remaining ingredients).

2  15 ounce cans pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/8 - 1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 - 1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cloves (optional)
1 cup maple syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment