Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Dinner came to me in an email...

The other day, I got an email from Forks over knives and it had a link to this http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/creamy-potato-curry/:

I thought it looked interesting and was hopeful that everyone would eat it. Kira, our vegan who doesn't like vegetables, does love potatoes and likes curry and other Indian flavors. I'll include what I did here, but take a look at their site for the original recipe (and good photos).

1/2 - 2/3 cup cashews
6 Yukon Gold Potatoes, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 yellow onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 bag of frozen cauliflower
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 tablespoons of an Indian Spice mix that I have that has cumin, coriander, and garlic in it (this is it)
1 cup (or so) of frozen kale
1-2 cups frozen green peas
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

Instructions:

1. Soak cashews in 2/3s - 1 cup of water.  I soaked mine in the blender while I got veggies prepared

2. Place the potatoes and 2 cups of water in a large pot. <-- I didn't think this was enough water, but it was okay.

Cover and bring to a boil, then add the onion, carrot, garbanzo beans, and cauliflower.  (I added them all at the same time because I thought they would be a better texture if I did.)  Reduce the heat to medium-low-medium and simmer, covered, for 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Add spices, and continue cooking, covered, for 10 minutes.

4. Blend cashews until smooth, then stir the cashew cream into the pot.

Before adding the green stuff (step ), I pulled some of the garbanzo beans, carrots, and potatoes for the vegans who don't like vegetables (Kira and Tia--my sweet girls who are slowly getting better about eating different foods).

5. Add the kale and peas and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the kale is tender.


Verdict... we will totally make this again!  3 out of 3 people who like vegetables really liked it!

Bad picture of the yummy dish below.  Thanks Forks over knives for another great meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment