Saturday, January 17, 2015

Antibiotics...

Here's a nice article on something that might help us with antibiotic resistance. I'm not a fan of antibiotics or other medicines unless they are REALLY needed. However, I am interested in plants and what they give us so I'm very excited about the new research with essential oils. I use a couple of different essential oils to help keep us healthy. My feeling is they might help and they can't hurt. Maybe I'm wasting money, but I do like the way they smell so, worst case, it's like buying perfume.

I found out about Oil of Thieves a few years back and became a fan of it (well of the generic brand). It might help and it can't hurt. It smells like the holidays. I like to use it when I travel. I figure having a little on my hands while traveling is a good thing.

When the girls (or I) get a cold, we rub it on our feet, and our neck and chests.  You have to use another oil to dilute it 'cause it's really "spicy." (I use a little bit of castor oil as the base and mix in 3-4 drops of the generic oil of thieves. We haven't tried it, thieves oil or castor oil, internally.)

I learned about oil of oregano a little more recently and really like it. I can't remember why I bought it, but I had some, and I had an infection on the back of my leg. The area was swollen, it hurt, and was really icky. I thought it would take 3-4 days to rid the infection and then much longer to heal. I put oil of oregano on it (straight and it STUNG). However, the infection was GONE within 24 hours (I re-applied a few more times because despite the stinging because I could see it was helping.) Seriously, the area healed faster than I ever imagined. I now use it on all skin issues we have; I mix a few drops up with a little water (so it doesn't sting). It really works to help prevent or end infections and promote healing on the skin.

I told my brother about oil of oregano when he had a bad scrape on his leg. He didn't use it. He ended up on some serious antibiotics as it got very infected. I don't know whether oil of oregano would have helped him, but we'll never know.

Fast forward to Thanksgiving this year. One of the girls had an AWFUL cold. Horrible. Fever, cough, the whole nine-yards. One of the other girls started coming down with it. I gave her oil of oregano (on my brother's urging 'cause he has since started using it and liking it) and the second kid didn't get nearly as sick. She was a little sick for 24 hours whereas the first kid was pretty darn sick for 4 or 5 days. I could give some more testimonial, but I'll end by saying I think we've prevented 4 or 5 colds (in different people) by using these oil of oregano capsules.


I'll be traveling soon.  I'll be taking some oil of oregano capsules and the oil of thieves (I buy the "generic" kind) with me.  Might help, can't hurt.

The third oil we always have around is lavender oil. One of my daughters LOVES it and swears it helps her sleep.  My Mom introduced it to her when my daughter was having problems sleeping. My Mom is gone now so I love that my daughter has this wonderful, happy tip, and memory. Again, worst case scenario, I'm wasting my money and it doesn't help her sleeping, but on the positive, my daughter smells like lavender, and is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment