Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Garbanzo Bean Hummus

I was looking through the blog and I can't believe I've never posted my "plain old" hummus recipe.

2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans (drained, but save the liquid from one can in case you need it)
1-2 lemons, juiced (usually 6-10 tablespoons depending on how lemon-y you like it; we went through a phase where we (Kira) really liked it lemon-y. Now we tend to make it less lemon-y like 6 tablespoons)
2 garlic cloves (or more depending on how much garlic you like)
2-3 tablespoons tahini
1-2 teaspoons salt (unless your beans are already salted, if so, salt to taste and you probably won't need too much)
1-2 teaspoons olive oil (usually I don't add ANY). 

I make this "doubled" all the time, so I wrote it as double, but if you don't have a lot of hummus eaters, you may want to halve it (1 can, 1 lemon, 1 garlic clove, 1 tablespoon tahini, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon (if any) of olive oil).

Note, don't bother to cut the garlic clove just stick it in the food processor and process like crazy.  I kind of dump everything in at once and process for a while. I make hummus so often, I can make it in my sleep.

Kira (8-years old) often makes it for me. She LOVES hummus. She says it is better than ice cream and she does love ice cream. Also, note, for years, I made hummus in my blender, but now I make it in my food processor.  The food processor IS SO MUCH EASIER TO CLEAN!  (Sorry, I am excited about how much easier it is to clean!)

A variation is to add in roasted red pepper... Hummus with red pepper is my favorite.  When I double this, I can pull half out for Kira and then stick red pepper in the other half and have two hummus versions for the price of one cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment