Sunday, September 20, 2015

Blogging slump: Chickpea chorizo

I've been trying to find things to blog about, but I just haven't been motivated lately. I still need to blog about food in France and England, but someday. Today we'll talk about chickpea chorizon by Vegan Richa, http://www.veganricha.com/?s=chickpea+chorizo. It's not quite a chorizo, but it's good. Of course, I modified things.  I give her full credit for the inspiration and I used very similar flavors to what she did in her recipe.

A while back, I made a "mexican" garbanzo bean mash; I have always wanted to create a chickpea dish with Italian Flavors.  I never would have imagined that tamari and apple cider vinegar could go into an Italian chickpea "chorizo," but it works!  It totally works!

What I did:
I put 2 cans of drained chickpeas in the food processor for a few pulses. I didn't mash by hand 'cause I'm lazy.  Be careful not to pulse too long.  Probably 10-20 pulses... I didn't count. You want them broken, but not in small pieces.

Spices:
~2 teaspoons dried oregano
~2 teaspoons onion powder
2-3 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
~2 teaspoons smoked paprika*
~1 teaspoon salt (my canned garbanzo beans are unsalted)

Directions:
I  put ~2 teaspoons olive oil in my big frying pan, turned it to medium heat, added the mashed chickpeas, stirred, added the seasoning, cooked for a couple minutes (while stirring, it will stick), and then I added ~2 teaspoons apple and about 2 teaspoons tamari sauce.  Stir and cook for another minute or two. Add in about 1 cup (I didn't measure) of pasta sauce.  (I always have some homemade pasta sauce around.) Stir and heat for another minute or two.

YUM.



I forgot to take a picture during dinner.  


The meal report:
Three of us loved it.  Two of us ate it with spaghetti and a little more pasta sauce. One of us had broccoli with the Italian chickpea mash.  One of the 3 of us also tried it on bread like a spread and really liked it.  At least one of the other two of us wanted to do this, but was full.

I think the other two would like it, but they weren't feeling brave.


*I love smoked paprika!  Such a wonderful flavor!

(End blogging slump? We'll see.)





No comments:

Post a Comment