Sunday, July 22, 2012

(Almost my) Dad's spaghetti sauce

 

It's been a while since I got the recipe from my Dad and Mom, and now they are no longer with us so I can't double check with them, but here's what I do:

2 jars of tomato paste
1-2 teaspoons of olive oil
1-2 teaspoons of dried garlic or 1-2 cloves of fresh chopped garlic

Start with these 3 and saute the garlic for just a minute--I find that by adding the paste at the same time I don't overcook the garlic.

1 jar of the strained tomatoes
2-3 teaspoons of dried oregano (or more... I'm an oregano fan)
2-3 teaspoons of dried basil
Salt to taste (I usually do 1 teaspoon)
2 cans of the diced tomatoes with Italian herbs (or not if you don't like chunks--just use another jar of sauce sauce)
(Add red pepper flakes if you want a little heat... start with a 1/4 of a teaspoon?)

Simmer forever ...  Okay an hour or two.

Add "meatballs" if you can!

Serve over whole grain pasta (penne, spaghetti, or whatever you like best).  We usually do whole wheat.

You can add other veggies, like broccoli, carrots, kale, and / or cauliflower and turn it into a vegetarian feast, but my girls aren't quite ready for that so I mix chopped kale into my pasta and make a festive red. green. and white dish for me.  I'll add a picture next time I make this!

In the meantime, try it! It's a tasty way enjoy some lycopene!

No comments:

Post a Comment