Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Mexican chickpeas

I wanted to make something with chickpeas. They are my current favorite bean. Well, they are probably in a tie with pinto beans. Anyway, this was dinner. I used kale instead of cabbage because of these beauties that are a LOT bigger now. 

We served it with sourdough bread, tortilla chips, salsa, guacamole, and whole wheat tortillas to make a wrap (you chose how you wanted to eat it). Yum! Four out of 6 of us loved it (my niece is here). We have almost another meal out of this for the four of us.

I'll make it again, I probably won't even change anything; well, I'll probably add more kale. I tripled the recipe tonight.

3 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), half mashed
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 can of diced tomatoes (I'd use fresh if I had them)
15 or so leaves of kale (shredded)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1-3 teaspoons olive oil
1 and 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
3/8- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
salt & pepper to taste (I actually added about 1 teaspoon to the pan 'cause my garbanzo beans and tomatoes had no salt.)

Cook the onion, red pepper, and garlic until the onions translucent and soft. (I used just a little olive oil and some of the juice from the tomatoes to cook them in.) Mash the chickpeas and add the mashed and whole ones, along with the tomatoes and spice. Cook everything until hot; add the kale and cook until the kale is soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment