Friday, December 5, 2014

Finally! Pumpkin Pie Fruit Leather!!!

I've finally had a chance to make this DELICIOUS Pumpkin Pie Fruit Leather!

OHMYGOODNESS!

I'm not much of a fruit leather person. Or at least I didn't used to be, but this is amazing!

I made a batch last night. I modified a bit.  Here's what I did:

1 can of pumpkin puree
1 (heaping) tablespoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/8-1/4 cup maple syrup*
1/4 cup water

BLEND

Pour the mixture  on a silpat (or equivalent) and then work really hard to spread the mixture EVENLY. (I'm guessing you could use parchment instead of a silpat, if you wanted, but I do love my silpat!)

I couldn't get it spread evenly; finally, my husband suggested that I take a BIG spatula (the kind you use to flip pancakes) and drag it across the mixture. It worked pretty well, but we'll see after it comes out of the oven. (One maker of fruit leather suggests "whacking" the pan on the counter a few times to get it even after it's mostly even. I may try this next time.)

Bake at 170 (or as low as your oven will go) for hours... She said 6, but mine was done in about 5 (last night).  We'll see how long it takes today. I spread it a little thicker 'cause parts were WAY too thin last night. I am guessing it will take closer to 6, today. (Yes, I'm making my second batch--don't judge.)

*I used 1/4 cup last night and cut it down to 3/8ths this morning. I'll report back on the sweetness.



No comments:

Post a Comment