Saturday, March 28, 2015

Another dessert: Brownie Bites

This time from Dreena Burton. I love all the recipes she's created (that I've tried). They contain whole foods, no added oils, usually not too much sugar, and are EXCELLENT.

Kira took this picture on her Dad's birthday. He requested these for his birthday treat. (I had made them 3 or 4 times since finding the recipe.) The recipe has been approved by several non-vegans, so if you're looking for something healthy and tasty, I highly recommend it.  It's gluten-free using oats and almonds as the flour. We don't avoid gluten, but it's nice to have some delicious recipes in your back pocket for times when needed. We all seem to really like the combination of almond and oat flour.



Here's the recipe copied from Dreena Burton's site with my (very slight) modifications. (I increased it to make slightly more dough and changed some of the proportions. For example, I cut some of the almond flour (proportional to the recipe), increased some of the oat flour, and decreased the sugar slightly. I probably increase the chocolate chips, too with my method of making the bites. I also just use my food processor, no mixer like she does, to make this recipe so my instructions are different from hers.)

3/4 cup pitted dates
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 tbsp almond butter or other butter of choice (cashew butter, peanut butter, etc)
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup almond meal
1 1/4 cup oat flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp (rounded) sea salt
3-4 tbsp non-dairy chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 325 degrees (not 350). In your food processor, place dates, maple syrup, almond butter (or other), and vanilla and process thoroughly so it's a smooth mixture with very few date chunks. Next, add almond meal, oat flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Process until mixture comes together. The mixture will be sticky, and that’s the idea. These are dense, brownie-like cookie bites. 

I made VERY big brownie bites with this recipe and got 18 that were probably 2.5 tablespoons of dough. I put in 2-3 chocolate chips (actually mine are chocolate chunks) in each bite as I form the bites (I have to actually form the bites with my hands to get them to stick together).  I baked for ~14 minutes.

If you make smaller bites (1 tablespoon or so), then bake for less time ~12 minutes. Make sure to use a slightly cooler oven (325 is recommended) so that the more delicate almond flour doesn't burn. 


 
A picture from an earlier batch with gooey chocolate!  

No comments:

Post a Comment