Thursday, July 18, 2013

from the trees...

getting ready to go into the oven



The topping

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup flax
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup maple syrup
1-2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons canola oil (optional)*
1/4-1/2 cup water

Mix it up and spread over the fruit. (Make sure you have small-ish pieces--NOT thick ones!) (I know this is a sweet treat... we don't make it very often because of the sugar.)

You may want to put about 3-6 tablespoons of maple syrup on the fruit and mix well.  You may also want a tablespoon of oil on the fruit. The version I made with plums didn't include any extra sugar or oil and it needed a little sugar. We had a very tart crisp!  I may try making a crisp with erythritol some day. 

Bake at 350 until the juice is all bubbly. About 25 minutes or so. Start watching it at 20 minutes, but it will probably take closer to 30.

This crisp is super easy! You can use fresh berries / fruit or you can use frozen!

I've made it with frozen strawberries, blueberries, peaches and all of them mixed together. With frozen peaches, I've use about 24 ounces with a pan about 8 x 12 inches.

With frozen, let the fruit thaw--you can microwave them a couple of minutes to speed things up or just let them sit on the counter.

*I leave it out now. I'm trying not to add oil to anything. I'll add nuts for fats, but I'd like to keep the food whole. Not using oil is a new challenge for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment