Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mexican Sweet Potato Soup

I made this soup for the first time.  (Recipe pasted below.) It was good!  What would I change? Not much.  I'd add Kale, of course!  (Remember, I like it GREEN!)  I did add some kale to my bowl, and YUM! I think I'd also add Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes.  If you scroll down on this post you can read about Eden tomatoes being BPA free.

Oh, on the soup, I didn't saute the veggies.  I just threw everything in the pot and let it cook for a couple of hours.  Next time, I might saute the red peppers or if I were in a hurry, I'd add (jarred) oven roasted red peppers.

So it's been a while since my last post... where did I go and am I back now?  I have been busy getting ready for the fall.  I'll be working again and teaching.  I'm almost ready--kind of, but I don't want summer to end.  My brother is visiting and this coming weekend we have some birthday celebrating to do, so don't expect me back quite yet.  I've so enjoyed my summer off and hanging with the girls.  Thanks to my wonderful husband for encouraging me to take time off. 

And now, Happy Healthy Librarian's Sister's Soup Recipe. 

Serves:  8 (2 cup servings)
Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups cubed sweet potatoes

1 large sweet onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, chopped fine

1 jalapeno pepper, chopped

1 large red pepper, chopped

1 16 oz. jar of salsa (I used pico de gallo, but next time I might use a heartier cooked salsa)

1/2 tablespoon cumin

2--14.5 oz. can of black beans, drained & rinsed

6 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth (use 8 cups if you like a thinner soup)

1/3 cup Better'n Peanut Butter (low-fat), or PB2 equivalent, prepared, or real peanut butter

1 bag of TJ's frozen brown rice, microwaved (2 cups cooked brown rice)
Optional:  Add 1 1/2 cups of frozen roasted corn

Preparation:
Saute all the vegetables, with sweet potatoes for 5-7 minutes, until soft (I skipped this... I microwaved the sweet potatoes and just through everything in the pot and let them simmer for a couple of hours.  I do think softening the pepper a bit more might be good.)

Add salsa, cumin, black beans, & broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes

Add in peanut butter. Whisk well.

Add in rice & cook 2 minutes longer.  (I didn't add rice, but maybe next time.  I prefer kale over rice.)

This is loaded with nutrients!

No comments:

Post a Comment