Monday, May 13, 2019

Purple Cabbage

I've seriously always wanted to cut up a purple cabbage... Okay, maybe not *always* but for a long time.  When I saw this salad, I knew I needed to make it.  OMG, so good.

I did almost everything she did.  My carrots weren't cut in as long of strips as hers, I just grated, but overall, I was pleased with how well I followed the recipe.

Here's the recipe in case her site ever goes down. Full credits to Cookie and Kate and Frugal Vegan! 

1 cup uncooked quinoa <-- slightly more than the original recipe (You can go with 3/4 if you prefer)
2 cups water <-- cook the quinoa with the water... these amounts worked well for us, I can't remember if it matched the package. I used the time amount listed on the package.
Set the quinoa aside to cool when done.

2 cups shredded purple cabbage
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup thinly sliced snow peas or sugar snap peas
¼ cup thinly sliced green onion

Dressing  
¼ cup smooth peanut butter 
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce 
1 tablespoon maple syrup 
1 tablespoon rice vinegar 
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil 
Garlic / ginger, or both...  <-- deviated here...I used a little dried ginger and about 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic
½ lime (or lemon), juiced (about 1 ½ tablespoons)
Pinch of red pepper flakes

Mix all the veggies, quinoa, and dressing together.  I put on a few sprinkles of salt as I did this.

Garnish with chopped roasted and salted peanuts and fresh cilantro

No comments:

Post a Comment