Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Zucchini muffins


Adapted from a Healthy Girl's Kitchen Recipe


2 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup flax 
3/4 tsp salt 
1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
1 tsp baking soda 
1 tablespoon cinnamon 
1/3 cup soymilk or almond milk (I like to make my own almond milk for this recipe)
*3/4 cup applesauce + more if batter is too dry 
1/2 cup maple syrup 
2 tsp vanilla extract
 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
 2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
Flax egg (mix 1 TBS of flax meal + 3 TBS of water--set aside and let gel) 
optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine flour, flax, salt, baking powder, baking soda & cinnamon.
In a medium bowl stir together nut milk, applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla, & flax/water mixture.
Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture & stir until just combined.
Fold in the shredded zucchini, chocolate chips, & optional walnuts.
Divide batter equally into 12 cup muffin pan lined with cupcake papers if regular pan or a silicone muffin pan (not lined or greased). 

Bake for 20-25 minutes testing for doneness.

Muffin Report: 2 of the 3 girls liked them, the vegan who doesn't like vegetables wouldn't try them. I thought they tasted better the morning after I made them. The day I made them, I wasn't sure, but then they grew on me! Nick, wonderful husband and dad, seemed to like them a lot. (He even took some to work one day.)

*I blend 1/2 cup of almonds and 3-4 cups of water. I don't strain it, and since I only use a little in the recipe, I can use the rest of it in our smoothies. Nothing beats homemade for cooking! (We keep store-bought on hand for cereal, but I love making my own!)

No comments:

Post a Comment