Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Vegan Tuna

I kept seeing recipes for vegan tuna and thought it would be fun to try to make.

[Sidebar: I was always intimidated by the recipes because it seemed I didn't have all the ingredients.  Mostly, it was because all of the recipes had celery in them. I never have celery around the house.  It's a goal to work it into our diet, but so far, I haven't managed. I remedied the situation by make it without celery.]

Here's a SUPER EASY version of the recipe (sans celery).

1 can of garbanzo beans -- mash them with a fork, or just barely process them in the food processor.  You don't want them to turn into a mushy-paste. (I used a fork.)
2-3 Tablespoons of vegan mayo; it can be homemade or store bought
1-2 tablespoons spicy mustard
1/4 cup chopped dill pickles
salt (to taste--depending on whether your garbanzo beans have salt)
Herbamare (optional -- I don't actually consider this optional)
Kelp flakes (optional)
Celery seed (to taste -- I like a lot)
(optional) a squirt of lemon

Mix up.
Eat.
Yum!

You really only need the first 5 ingredients; if you don't add Herbamare or Kelp, you won't have fishy taste--with Herbamare, you'll only get a slight hint of the sea. (Full disclaimer, I haven't tried this with Kelp flakes yet. I have them, but haven't used them.) I can't believe I was intimidated by the idea of this recipe. All I can say is just do it!


Pictured is a wrap with a little baby kale and the vegan tuna. It was hard to make this because I really wanted to just eat the "tuna" off the fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment