Sunday, August 4, 2013

The reason why 2 out of 3 girls are vegan...

In April 2012, we met Vida the cow. We love her. She was a young cow being weaned and she wanted to be petted. She was crying when she was alone because she wanted her mama. This made the girls very sad and they (2 out of 3) decided to give up dairy. It's been over a year and there's been no looking back. I was reminded of this when I was reading the vegan next door's recent blog post.

My own reasons for turning vegan were health related and someday I will post about those; however, since the girls became vegan for animal reasons, I have become more aware of the myriad of problems in the food industry. I knew about some, before. I was a vegetarian for a long time and like most, I was willing to turn a blind eye and eat eggs and dairy. Now being an "outsider," (a plant-based eater) it's easier to see the problems with the meat and dairy industry and acknowledge them. (I also see lots of problems with not-sustainable practices in agriculture, so I try to buy local and organic whenever possible and do as many "green" practices as I can. I'm still learning.)

In the meantime, enjoy the pictures of Vida and the girls. Vida lives on an organic farm and will produce milk when she is older and has her own calf. The people on the farm will consume the milk. Vida won't ever be subjected to hormones to increase her milk supply. Vida is a lucky cow.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment