Thursday, August 29, 2013

Hubris...

This post isn't about vegan / plant-based, but I felt I should write it. In 2010, I had my vitamin D level tested and it was lovely... 62. I was proud. I kept taking my 2,000 IU a day. I just had them re-checked. I expected all would be grand and I'd be celebrating my 50+ result again.

cue ominous music...

Nope... 30. What??!

Yes, 30 is "in the normal range" for my lab. But it is THE LOWEST normal value. I got a call from the nurse happily telling me it was normal. I do not consider 30 good at all. I have some inflammation issues and 30 isn't enough for me.

From this site, the Vitamin D Council, it sounds like I need to take 5,000 IU a day of D3 to achieve a level of 50.  Guess I'll be popping Vitamin D capsules for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment