Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies or bars.... your choice!

You may remember how much I enjoyed the pumpkin bars that I modified--or maybe you couldn't tell that I made that recipe about 6-8 times in one month and I was usually doubling it. 

Recently, I found this recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and I couldn't stop thinking about that idea. It reminded me of my beloved pumpkin bars, but it seemed like I could take cookies with me more easily than my modified pumpkin bars that were so moist and required a refrigerator. I knew I had to change the cookie recipe because 1) it wasn't vegan, 2) it had a lot of sugar, and 3) it had a lot of butter. When I read it, I thought, "I can fix it!"  Here's what I did:


Dry Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp clove
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup flax

Wet Ingredients 
1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2/3 cup apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup water


And finally
1/3 cup (or so) chocolate chips (optional, but it's sad not to add these!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.

Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl.
Mix all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add them together, and pour in chocolate chips at the end.  The cookie batter will be very thick and hard to stir.  

Shape into cookies or bars ... I made mine into approximately1.5 x 2.5 inch rectangles, so kind of bar-like. The recipe made about 30 of them. They were pretty big and thick; I baked them for about 12-15 minutes. They are hearty and not very sweet--just the way we like desserts and treats.




No comments:

Post a Comment