Sunday, June 9, 2013

3rd time is charmed (Banana Bread)

I play with recipes a lot, but that's why there's a "modified" tag!

Remember when I made Banana Bread?  It's from Dreena Burton's site. I've changed it a little bit (more). I really like flax in my quick breads. Here's the recipe, with flax, now.

2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup flax
3/4 cup oat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup pureed overripe banana (see note)
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup plain non-dairy milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3-4 tbsp non-dairy mini or regular chocolate chips (optional)

Dreena's Instructions
Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine pureed banana, maple syrup, milk and vanilla. Add wet mixture to dry, and add in chocolate chips (if using), and stir through until just well combined (don’t over mix). Wipe a loaf pan lightly with oil (or use a silicone loaf pan). Pour batter into pan and bake for 43-48 minutes, until golden and a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Makes 1 quick bread.
Notes:
If you have an immersion blender, puree several medium-large overripe bananas in a deep, large cup, then measure to get your 1 cup. If you don’t have an immersion blender, mash banana very well.
To make muffins instead of a quick bread: Pour mixture into a 12-cup muffin pan fitted with cupcake liners. Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove, let cool for a few minutes in pan, and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely

My notes:
I mash my bananas. It doesn't seem worth it to dirty a blender for them.

I'll put up a picture of the loaf as soon as I remember to take it when it's not all the way eaten! In the meantime, here's a picture of the bread as muffins...


No comments:

Post a Comment