Sunday, February 24, 2013

Stevia

When I first learned of stevia, I did all kinds of research on it and I couldn't find anything negative. I started using it (a little).  It is a strong sweetener, and I only liked it with cinnamon.  I just found new research that makes me glad I never loved it.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-stevia-good-for-you/

Basically, the video tells you not to eat too much of it because bacteria in our guts produce steviol glycosides, a mutagenic compound. as it moves through our guts.  (How much is too much?  1.8 milligrams of stevia per pound of body weight is what you should stay under.  In my stevia there are 40 milligrams of stevia per 1/4 teaspoon.)

Will I still eat it?  Maybe here and there, but I will eat it less.  I used to eat it most mornings on my oatmeal.  I'm sure I was under the maximum amount that is considered safe.

What's my favorite sweetener?  Maple Syrup.  Someday, I'll do a post about why I like it!  Really. 

When I want a no or low glycemic sweetener, I will probably turn to erythitol as this video suggests it's safe, and that it contains antioxidants.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/erythritol-may-be-a-sweet-antioxidant/

I'll keep watching for new research on the foods we eat and posting it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment