Sunday, February 10, 2013

One recipe, 3 varieties!

My Happy Healthy friend posted just in time for my birthday... as soon as I saw it, I knew I'd make it!  She got it from a friend and it's yum.  Of course, I made some modifications.  That's what I do.

I made it pretty close to the recipe, but I added some baking powder. It didn't do that much, because these were gluten-free flour pancakes. (Nick's comment was they'd be better with some wheat gluten mixed in.) I also added a dash of salt. For making pancakes, I had to add more almond milk.  The batter was probably the right consistency for waffles, but for pancakes it was too thick. I don't know how much extra almond milk I added.  I just poured and stirred until it looked "right." Next time, I'll probably add some vanilla to the mix, just because I think a little vanilla makes everything taste better. 

Oh, I need to tell you about the 3 varieties.  Before I added the spices (see end of the recipe) I divided the mix up into 3 parts. 

In part 1, I put no spices, but added chocolate chips!  This was the "sinful" kind of pancakes. I added a thin layer of peanut butter on top of one of the cooked ones--oh my!  It was like a healthy Reese's peanut butter cup. 

In part 2, I put in both cinnamon and nutmeg.

In part 3, I just put cinnamon.

Of course, I liked part 1 best.  BUT, for feeling healthy, I liked part 3 best.  I made smaller pancakes than described.  I won't tell you how many I ate, but after breakfast, I went to do Zumba so it's all good.

Super yum!!  I wish I had a waffle maker, but I can't quite justify purchasing one.  I am interested in the stainless steel kind that you cook with on the stove. 



From Happy Healthy and her friend...

Ingredients: 

1 cup of oats (rolled oats or steel-cut)  I've used both. Rolled oats might grind more easily.
1 cup raw buckwheat groats
1/2 cup ground flax seeds/flax meal
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds  (I used pumpkin seeds!)
1/4 cup raisins or currants
1 very ripe medium to large speckled banana
3 cups of unsweetened almond milk--or your favorite non-dairy milk.  Water can also be used--although I've only made this with milk.

----------------
here's where you choose what you want to do regarding flavor.

1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
some chocolate chips
Optional spices include: pumpkin pie, allspice, ginger, cloves, vanilla to taste


Preparation:

1. Before you start, soak the 1/4 cup of raisins in about 1 cup of the milk needed for the recipe. 

2. SEPARATELY grind each of the grains & seeds in a power blender, like a VitaMix.  Emptying the contents into a large bowl after each one is ground.  Works beautifully--& this won't clog up your blender.  DO NOT try to grind everything together at the same time.  DO NOT GRIND or blend the raisins in anything--except the milk.

I'm sure a food processor will also work, but, I haven't tested that out.

NOTE:  Raisins or currants are too gooey & must be blended separately with the milk, or they'll get stuck around the blades.  Because the pumpkin seeds have fat in them, they don't grind up as "cleanly" as do the grains.

3.  Pour the remaining milk--2 cups--into an empty blender, along with the raisins & their 1 cup of soaking milk & the banana.

(If you want, add the cinnamon & nutmeg & mix until well-blended.)

4.  Pour the milk into the bowl with all the ground up grains & seeds & mix until just smooth with a whisk or a mixer on slow speed.

5.  Preheat your griddle or non stick pan.  (I have a green pan and it took a little oil to season it while cooking the first few pancakes and then the rest of the pancakes cooked and didn't stick and I didn't add any more.)

6.  I made fairly small pancakes ('cause I think they are cuter that way, but they won't toast super well as leftovers--see #7 ...  alas.  I did make some big enough to toast.)

7.  Store extras in the refrigerator or freeze them.  Heat them up in a toaster oven for crispness. You can top them however you want... PB, PB2, Fruit, nothing, Maple Syrup, your choice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment