Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Homemade Black Beans

I remember when I had time to make homemade black beans. Sigh. It's a little busy right now, but I thought I'd post the recipe. I love black beans--they are so tasty and so good for you.  They have lots of antioxidants, fiber, and protein; recent research suggests they may lower the risk of colon cancer.  In short, black beans are a real super food!  I love black beans with:

Rice
Sauteed onions and red pepper
Broccoli
Kale
Spinach
Tortilla
All of the above combined... plus salsa.  I use a lot of salsa.

 I digress.

Here's the recipe, for homemade beans roughly...
1 lb black beans, soaked in water with kombu. (Kombu makes beans more "digestible.") Soak for at least 12 hours and drain the water at least once (after 8-12 hours). I usually soak them for 24 hours with the kombu (a piece or 2 of 2x3 inches (or equivalent as the pieces break).

When you start cooking, add 8 cups fresh water (I usually stick in another piece of kombu, too)
1 tsp (or to taste) salt
Couple of diced garlic cloves (to taste)
1-2 tablespoons of ground cumin (Don't be shy!  This stuff is good and good for you.) 

Simmer forever or until the beans are really soft.  Once you get the beans in the pan, you can let them cook ALL DAY (or all afternoon).  They get better the longer they cook.  Serve with whatever you like (see my list above for ideas).  (My current favorite tortillas are Organic Sonoma Multi-Grain with Flax Tortillas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment