Sunday, November 16, 2014

Homemade adobo sauce

I had no idea what it was until a couple of weeks ago and now it is one of my favorite things. You take these bad boys (dried and smoked chipotle peppers) and cook them in tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, garlic, cumin, honey (could be any sweetner), water....

I had no idea what I was doing so I started with 12 of them.  I made a lot of stuff with this sauce this weekend.

I used 12 chipotle peppers (slice them open and empty the seeds) (then be afraid of your fingers because they will be very peppery and could sting your eyes)
I used two small (7 ounce) jars of tomato paste
about 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (1/3 to 1/2)
about 1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons cumin
water about 1.5 cups
2 cloves of minced garlic

Put it all in a pan, stir and cook (simmering and stirring occassionally) for about 1/2 hour to hour.  I did an hour.

This stuff is AWESOME!


So what did I make?

this from Minimalist Baker
Chipotle Hummus
Mexican Lasagne (Basically this recipe but with an added layer of Adobo Sauce)

I froze enough of the sauce for at least one more batch of Chipotle Hummus (maybe two).
YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment