Saturday, May 17, 2014

Mexican Quinoa version 2

We love Mexican and we love quinoa. This was tasty and super easy! Three out of 6 liked it (my brother is visiting).  We'll make it again!

I started with this recipe, but didn't want to wait an hour so I just did it in one pan on the stove.

What I did:

1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1.5 cups uncooked quinoa (rinsed)
3 cans diced tomatoes, with liquid (14.5 ounces)
½ cup water
3 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional--it's very nice in here--I'm not a huge fan, but it does add a nice flavor dimension)
1 tbsp tomato paste (or ketchup, but I recommend the paste!)
1 tablespoon cumin
1-2 teaspoons oregan
1-2 teaspoons chili powder (more if you like things spicy)
Salt & freshly ground pepper
1 or 2 cans black beans, drained
1 cup corn kernels (I used frozen)
3 cups baby kale or spinach (I used kale)
Toppings of choice: vegan sour cream, avocado, cilantro, vegan cheese, etc.

Add all ingredients in the list down to the black beans. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the beans and corn and cook for another 5-10 minutes but make sure it isn't sticking! Add a little more water if you need it and stir often. Reduce heat to very low and add the greens. Put the lid on stir and serve when the greens are wilted to your preference.

I made extra 'cause I read it would freeze well. I am excited to have a new, easy, tasty dinner!  Pictures soon or see the site linked.

No comments:

Post a Comment