Saturday, May 24, 2014

Indian fusion (now no oil)

Right now, I need EASY meals... I can't believe how crazy it is and I can't believe how much I need a break. Teaching, helping organize and run a big meeting (for 50 people), helping plan for another conference (150 people), doing a big week-long volunteer effort at the elementary school, and 4 dance numbers in 2 shows is my limit. (There's some other stuff, too, but I can't remember it all.) I can't wait until it slows down a little, but this summer, through most of July will still be busy--not quite as busy as June since the dance shows and conferences will be over.

This is easy. It's got lots of veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, peas) and protein because it has soy and garbanzo beans and it's sauteed in a bunch of Indian spices.

The spices are a brand called Aurora Creations. I want to learn more about Indian cooking and spices, but I haven't had time. These packets are super yum and give great flavor. Though one is called Chicken Tikka Masala, it's just the spices--no animals were harmed in the making of this meal!


 
These are fun! My friend the Happy Healthy Librarian told me about them.

(despite the name on the Chicken Tikka Masala packet, NO chicken and no animal products are involved, just yummy spices.)


This is hardly a recipe, but here is what I did...

a little oil (about 1/8 a cup)*
garlic
onion powder (next time I'll use an onion)
14 ounces of tomato paste -- next time I'll use a can of tomatoes
2 packs of the Tikka Masala spice and 1/2 pack of the Gobi spice
all the veggies described above (they were frozen and I just put them in the pan--used a small bag of cauliflower and a 16-ounce bag of the broccoli, cauliflower and carrots (mixed)
1 can of garbanzo beans
1 cup of frozen peas
1 whole packet of the soy curls (softened in water first, then drained)
1/2 cup water
a little almond milk
stir often and cook for a while (mine has been simmering now for almost 2 hours)

Enjoy!  (Can be served with rice, quinoa, by itself, bread, tortillas, other veggies, etc,)

*I have now made it with NO oil. I use the water I soak the soy curls in to keep the food from sticking, instead of oil.  I don't know how much water I use. I just keep adding some when it gets dry if it needs to cook more.

No comments:

Post a Comment