Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bored with dinners...

When I don't have time to blog, I don't try new recipes...or maybe it's when I don't have time to try new recipes, I don't blog. Today, I finished grading a set of long papers from my students and I decided to make time for a new recipe. Part of the reason, we were bored with all the usual stand-by dinners.

I decided to make this one. My version was good, but the sauce was a little thick. Here's what I did and what I plan to do next time all rolled into one recipe:

• 3/4 cup cashews
• 1/4 cup oatmeal
• 1/4 cup water
• 1 can Italian spiced diced tomatoes (Eden cans are BPA-free liners)
• 3 tbsp tomato paste
• 1-2 garlic cloves  (I used 1 teaspoon of minced dried garlic)


• 1 tsp salt, or to taste
• 1/2 cup water (or more if needed)
• 1 tablespoon dried basil (use ~1 cup packed (or more) fresh finely chopped if you have it)
• 1-2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Blend the first 6 ingredients: cashews, oatmeal, water, can of tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, until smooth. Pour into a pan and gently heat while stirring so it doesn't stick. Add salt, water to thin to desired thickness, and spices. Serve with your choice of pasta (this works well with spaghetti) and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.

Super easy... super tasty. Five out of 5 of us liked it. See the picture on Oh She Glows blog... I'll get one someday. Hopefully, I'll have more time to blog again soon. (Don't hold your breath--I want to blog, but work and teaching are really busy right now and we have friends coming to visit this week!)



No comments:

Post a Comment