Saturday, February 1, 2014

Homemade thin mints



A few days ago, I found this recipe. I knew I needed to make it. The Sweet Life's recipe was very simple:

2 sticks (1 cup) vegan butter (I use Earth Balance buttery sticks)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup flour

You start with whipping the butter and powdered sugar, then add the cocoa, salt, vanilla extract and whip until smooth. After, slowly add the flour and mix well. I love a recipe where I can use my Kitchen Aid and not worry about over beating!  I suggest reading the Sweet Life's Recipe instructions if you want better directions.

Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick.
Cut the cookies out with round cookie cutters.
Place on baking sheets on either parchment or a silicone pan liner.
Bake for ~12 minutes.

Cool.

Dip in melted chocolate. Melt 1 and 1/2 bags of dark chocolate chips (what it took for us to coat our 30 very large cookies), 2 teaspoons peppermint extract, and 1.5 tablespoons vegan butter.

Melt the 3 ingredients together in a double boiler, after your cookies are cool.  (I stuck the cookies in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.) I placed each cookie in the melted chocolate and carefully removed it with a spoon. I had to scoop some more chocolate on some and smear it around carefully. I let the cookies harden on wax paper and stuck them in the refrigerator.

Next time I make them, I stick some peppermint extract in the dough, too--not much, probably 1 teaspoon to get a hint throughout the cookie. Also, next time, I'll have a smaller round cookie cutter.

These are very good cookies. They are not healthy in any way. (Happy birthday to me!)

1 comment: