Tuesday, December 31, 2013

the year of the pancake

2013 was the year of the pancake over here!

Early on in the year, I found this recipe. It was very good. It was gluten free. I couldn't really tell it was gluten free--a high compliment because we're gluten fans around here.

Because we like the gluten, my wonderful husband added some gluten and created this recipe. OMG, I love it. I make it pretty much every weekend. I make enough left-overs to get us part way through the week--usually Wednesday. 

After not too long, I got a scan pan for the pancakes. I love it. I had one before, but it didn't last super well. I used oil in it. No added oil will be used in this scan pan. It is awesome. I look forward to seeing how long it lasts!

Then, for Thanksgiving, this recipe was going around the blogosphere. Super yum, but I changed it a little. 

Pumpkin Pancakes


  • 1.5 cups whole wheat flour 
  • 1 cup oat flour
  • 1/2 cup flax
  • 1/2 -1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1-2  tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 3 cups of non-dairy milk (you may need more I can't remember how much I added… start slow and add until the right thickness. After I add 2 cups of non-dairy milk, I usually switch to water for the liquid, but that's just me. This may need 4 or 5 cups of liquid (or more), I can't remember!)
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (makes them lighter and fluffier!)
  • 1 can (2 cups) pumpkin
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4-1/3 cup maple syrup
  • Chocolate chips (at least 1/3 cup, but as many as you want--add last!)
Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe: In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir very well. Add wet ingredients and non-dairy milk until the batter is the right thickness; then add chocolate chips.
Cook pancakes (I use a scan pan so I don't use any oil, but many pans need a little).  Cook over medium heat (make sure the pan is really hot and heated through first. (The test to see if the pan is hot is to drop a little drop of water; it should immediately start dancing around.  Pour small ladles of batter onto the skillet and spread out the batter so it doesn’t sit in the middle of each pancake if it's really thick. 
I think it took about 5-6 minutes each side for these pancakes. This makes less than my other  pancake recipes, but it will feed 5 people and give you leftovers for a day or two; the other recipes give leftover for 3-4 days.) 
For Christmas, my gluten-free niece came to visit and I made this with almond flour and oat flour and she liked it. If you make want to make this gluten free, cut the whole wheat, up the flax and oat, and add almond (or gf flour). I had to make the gluten-free pancakes really small 'cause they didn't hold together for the flip if I didn't. She liked them. I thought they were tasty, but since I had to make them so small I added whole wheat flour to 1/2 the batter so I could cook them bigger 'cause I didn't want to cook pancakes all day on Christmas.
What's your favorite pancake recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment