Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pictures of Mexican Lasagna

Here's the recipe for Mexican Lasagna.  The recipe (from my happy, healthy friend), recommends that you use canned sweet potatoes if you're in a hurry.  I haven't tried that yet, but when I'm in a hurry, I use these, the frozen in a bag kind (picture below).  I used two bags (20 oz.).  I put them in a bowl and microwaved them for 5-7 minutes (until they were soft) and then put them in the lasagna.



Above, I'm assembling the lasagna with kale.  I had two layers of kale in it.  I microwaved the kale for ~30 seconds before I put it in to make it a little wilt-y.  I added a little more of it after I took the picture to that layer.  I had probably 5-6 cups of it in the whole pan--not a lot, but it's good to add greens to recipes.  It all adds up!  I used all 8 tortillas in the recipe and next time, I think, I'm going to try to make 1/2 the pan with very little tortilla and the other half with normal tortilla.  Or maybe I'll go all crazy and make 1 pan with and 1 pan without--believe it or not, this stuff freezes pretty well.

I use a lot of pico de gallo in my lasagna.  I think I used 3-4 of those  12 oz. containers.  I tend to NOT use all the juice, but to scoop out the chunks.  I think a cooked salsa with a thicker sauce might be nice, but I really like pico de gallo.  (It's scary how much I like it.)

Every time I make this lasagna*, Nick says, "I don't like sweet potatoes, but the sweet and spicy works."  I myself have mixed feelings about sweet potatoes, but this recipe does "work."  Enjoy!



*I've only made it 3 or 4 times.  Someday, he'll probably not say it, and then I'll be sad.  It's pretty cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment