Saturday, April 11, 2015

Oh Fudge! I mean "not oat fudge!"

I found a recipe on a new (to me) blog. The blogger, Kate, described it as an accidental recipe. I love it when accidents turn out great! The recipe caught my attention as she called it "Easy Salted Oat Fudge." (I love salt in desserts! It's my weakness.) I'm calling the recipe "not oat fudge" because of my modifications.

Here's her recipe (modified because that's what I do). This is super yummy; everyone who has tried this has loved it. (My youngest doesn't like the pecans, but the next time I make this, I'll make her some without the pecans.)

I don't think of this as "fudge," but I don't have a better word to describe it.  It's not as soft and moist than fudge, but it kind of melts in your mouth, so it's very nice. Thanks, Kate for the happy accident of a recipe! (See below for the world's worst photo of my version. Click over to Kate's blog to see nice photos.)

3/4 cup almond butter
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/8-1/4 cup maple syrup
2-4 tablespoons cashew butter
1.5 teaspoons vanilla
3/4-1 teaspoon salt

~3/4 cup of oat flour (a bit more, maybe, but probably not a full cup--see note below)
~1 cup of toasted pecans


(To toast the pecans, stick them in a 300 degree oven on a silpat or parchment paper for 10-15 minutes. Easy-peasy, yum!)

(To make oat flour, stick as many oats as you need to be flour in your food processor or blender and watch them fly as you turn it on! I love making oat flour. You can buy it if you'd rather.)

Melt the almond butter, chocolate chips, maple syrup, cashew butter, and vanilla in a double boiler or regular sauce pan (keep the heat low if you use a regular pan). Stir in the oat flour (this will be hard 'cause the mixture is super thick already). (Add 1/2 cup of oat flour at first and mix it in, and then add as much as you can--probably another 1/4-1/2 cup, but add it kind of slowly. Your arm will get tired from all the mixing (but then you can eat more of this recipe since you worked out while making it).

(Note: the second time I made this I discovered that 1 cup was too much oat flour.  I had to add a little more almond butter to counteract the flour.  So, since the original post, I changed the oat flour amount in the ingredients to 3/4s of a cup--maybe a tiny bit more, but not a full cup.)

The "dough" will be very dry. Add the pecans. Next, put the dough in an 8X8 pan and pat it down so that it all sticks together.  (Again, you'll be using muscles and working out!)

After it's in the pan, stick it in the freezer for a while (1/2 hour or so), or just in the fridge to cool.  It will slice (with a little breakage), and taste excellent. The warm "dough" also tastes great! 

The recipe is delicious, but not moist like fudge (because of my modifications--my leaving out the butter makes it dryer).  Kate described it as a cross between a no-bake cookie and fudge... I think of it more as a cross between a no-bake cookie and a baked cookie with fudge-y flavor.

Whatever! It's a winner! (Unless you don't like chocolate.  I'm looking at you, LindaX.)

Enjoy the heavenly, not oat fudge!

 
(you can see the frost on the glass from the freezer.)

For 12 servings cut in the 8x8 pan (that's a decent size):

No comments:

Post a Comment