Saturday, October 4, 2014

Happy October (a new cornbread)

I finally got around to making this recipe from The Breakfast Drama Queen. Except, I changed it a little. Are you surprised? She likes savory cornbread, and I, while I don't like sweet, do like sweet cornbread. I have even been known to pour a little maple syrup on my cornbread. Sweet cornbread makes sense to me--savory, not so much.

Okay, so what'd I do? I loved her idea of pumpkin, so I didn't change that! I stuck with the recipe she made for the most part, except I added about a quarter cup of maple syrup. I probably should have reduced the soy milk I used (didn't have almond), 'cause it's taking a long time to bake!

From her site, with my modifications.

• 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
• 3 tablespoons water
• 1 cup pumpkin puree
• 1 teaspoon maple syrup
• 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 ½ cups polenta (cornmeal)
•  ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk (or whatever non-dairy milk you prefer)


INSTRUCTIONS
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9x9 pan.

• In a large bowl, whisk together the flaxseed meal and water. Whisk in the pumpkin puree and maple syrup. Add the baking powder and salt, followed by the polenta, and stir well. Add the non-dairy milk, and mix until completely combined.
 Pour into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, (with my extra liquid, it took 30 minutes) or until the tops feel firm. Cool for 5 minutes before eating or transferring to a cooking rack. 

Verdict?  We liked it. It's not that sweet. It's very moist. The amount was perfect for the 5 of us. I served it with My Mexican Soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment