Sunday, June 22, 2014

Momba v2

I'm always changing things up, trying to get more veggies in and to make things more whole-foods-ish. (I don't think that's a word, but I'm sticking with it.) The last time I gave you my green shake recipe I did it a little differently. This year, it evolved. We still drink this every night as an appetizer for dinner. A salad in a cup!

This serves 5
2 carrots
1/4 -1/2 cup of raw almonds
1 banana
2-3 cups frozen kale (or 2-3 cups packed fresh kale)
10-16 ounces of water (adding a mixture of ice and water is good--more ice makes it thick. You do need enough water to blend it all though, so it's a careful dance)
4-5 teaspoons of Calcium powder (see pictures below)*

Blend well
Now add:
10-16 ounces of frozen strawberries
(I sometimes stick in apples, or other fruit.)
Add more ice if you need to for thickness.

2 of us drink it this way, so we serve up two 12 -14 ounce servings in 2 glasses.
Then  we add 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate chips and blend again (well) and serve up another 12-14 ounces; now all 3 vegan have their green drink.
Next, we "doctor it up" for the 2 remaining non-vegans who like to add a little yogurt and whey.**

I'll try to get pictures of Momba blended up someday. I forgot!


*We started adding calcium (both calcium citrate and calcium with magnesium) to our smoothies because we weren't sure if the girls were getting enough calcium in their diet. It's TOTALLY easy to get enough protein. Calcium is harder to get, especially for growing girls who don't eat enough greens. 

**Yeah, I wish that we had 5 vegans in the house, but the two non-vegans are cute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment