Sunday, April 28, 2013

French Toast vegan-style

Unfortunately, I gave myself an earworm on that title.  I now have Gangnam style going through my head.  Hopefully it won't happen to you.  (Heh, as if these first two sentences won't seal the deal and get it running through your head if the title didn't.)

Okay, for that introduction, this better be worth it, eh? 


OMG, it is!  I have been exploring Dreena Burton's website and I'm about to give her a genius award.  I loved her Banana Bread (linked off my post here) and now I love her French Toast!  I only liked french toast every once in a while, but my girls missed french toast. Two out of three loved it and so did the husband. I agree with her and think it was every bit as good as egg and dairy french toast, if not better--there you go.  


The recipe is on her site, and here's a copy in case her site ever goes away (doubtful, but who knows). 



1 cup vanilla non-dairy milk (I used almond)
2 tbsp flax meal 
1⁄2 cup silken firm tofu (I used Mori Nu)
1⁄4 tsp cinnamon 
1⁄8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (I skipped this; not a big nutmeg fan)
1⁄8 tsp sea salt1 tsp neutral-flavored oil (I skipped this)
8 – 9 slices bread of choice (I used sourdough; see Dreena's site for a note for wheat-free/gluten-free)
2 – 3 tsp organic neutral flavored oil (or more, if needed, for frying)

Pour the non-dairy milk, flax meal, tofu, cinnamon, and salt in the blender  and blend until very smooth and thick (it will get thicker as it sits a little while and the flax absorbs some of the liquid). (My note, I added more almond milk as I was cooking when I thought it was too thick.) Make sure your pan is preheated. Dip a slice of bread in the batter. Turn over and let the bread get covered with batter, then place it in the pan to cook. I used a pan over medium heat.  I added a little oil for the first piece of toast and then my Green pan can do the rest of the toast without more oil added. Cook the toast about for 4 minutes each side, until lightly brown (try to flip only once so that the batter will set and brown nicely on the bread). Serve with pure maple syrup or eat plain... (I don't like to add maple syrup when it's not in a recipe. I love it in recipes.)



Here's a not so great picture of the french toast cooking... I couldn't take pictures after it was cooked 'cause the girls ate it too fast.  Someday, I'll get a nice presentation going. For now, you get the "just the facts" type of pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment