Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Creamy Curry Cauliflower and Veggie Soup

I modified a recipe and made this soup. I'm calling it creamy cauliflower and veggie curry! Right now, it's my new favorite soup! The PB makes it creamy... Oh my, it's good! It's super easy to make (pun intended).


Ingredients
1 32 oz. container of vegetable broth
~3 cups of water

2 bags of frozen cauliflower, carrot and broccoli mix (I get it from Whole Foods) -- note pull the broccoli out and don't let it cook as long as the carrots and cauliflower (see directions below).
1 bag fresh spinach (or a couple of cups of frozen).
You can use fresh veggies if you prefer or any mix of veggies that you like. I think zucchini and red peppers would work well, in addition to the cauliflower, carrots, broccoli and spinach.

1 medium sized yukon gold potato, cubed into 1/2" cubes
1 chopped onion
1 - 15 ounce cans of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 26 oz box/can of chopped tomatoes

1 tablespoon of turmeric powder (don't be shy, but note that it can stain things!)
1 tablespoon of curry powder
1 tsp. of salt (or less if you have salt in your tomatoes / garbanzo beans and broth you may want less. I used low-sodium broth and no salt tomatoes and beans so I added 1 teaspoon. Check labels! Salt to taste!)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp red cayenne pepper (depending on how much kick you like!)

2 - 8 tablespoons of organic peanut butter (optional and see note below)

Optional, optional:
More spinach or kale thrown in at the end for more GREEN! (I like it green!)


Directions
Put liquid (broth and water) in a big stock pan.

Add chickpeas, cauliflower, carrot, potato, and onion and boil. Lose track of time because you are multi-tasking but note that the veggies are all pretty soft (most likely 20 minutes).

Add the spices and tomatoes and cook for a while longer (lose track of time--probably 10-15 minutes).

Add the PB (you decide how much; I like 1/2 cup) and stir well. Add the spinach last and cook as long as you want (from no time to 1/2 hour).

Serve in a bowl like soup, over rice, over more veggies (I like it over kale or broccoli) or with bread. A note on the amount of PB, I put a lot in the soup--you can do less and I'm imagining you could substitute some of the PB for PB2 and still get the flavor. I love the taste of PB. Unfortunately, PB is high in Omega-6 fat, but even a 1/2 a cup isn't that much in this recipe (or so I keep telling myself) because you get SO much soup. (Someday I'll try subbing in a little PB2 for some of the PB. True confession, last night, I used the a lot of the full-fat version. I'll let you know if I try it with PB2.)

No comments:

Post a Comment