Friday, May 11, 2012

Chocolate, Chia, Walnuts, Dates and a touch of vanilla (and that's it!)



I got this recipe from my Happy Healthy Friend.

Makes 10 bars

Prep time: 15 minutes (If you don't get interrupted by children!)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups pitted dates (Warning: Make sure there aren't any pits! An errant pit will stop your food processor cold!)
1/3 cup raw usweetened (& undutched) cocoa powder
1/3 cup whole chia seeds
3/4 tsp vanilla extract, optional
1 cup raw walnut pieces
Cocoa for dusting


Preparation
1. Place dates in bowl of food processor; puree until thick paste forms.
2. Add cocoa powder, chia seeds, and vanilla, if using. Pulse until all ingredients are combined.
3. Add walnuts; pulse until nuts are finely chopped and well distributed through date mixture.
4. Spread large sheet of wax paper on work surface
5. Transfer mixture to wax paper, and press mixture into 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Wrap tightly with the waxed paper, and then with foil. Chill overnight.
6. Unwrap block, and cut into 10 bars. Dust edges and sides with cocoa VERY lightly, if desired, to prevent sticking. Wrap each bar in waxed paper & store in the refrigerator.

Everyone needs a little treat every now and then! These are so yummy. I've made them for a few different people and no one can believe how good they taste when they hear the ingredients. It's amazing what you can do with dates, walnuts, cocoa, and chia. They taste like a really rich brownie with little crunchies (the chia) inside. All 3 of my girls LOVE them.

Below, you can see me getting ready to enjoy one for my birthday cake and my 7-year old eying the treat!
They are even tastier when paired with this. People ask me what I "miss" now that I don't eat dairy (and haven't since 2009). I can honestly say nothing. There are so many non-dairy treats that are super yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment