Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer fun

Summer days seem to fly by and I don't seem to find time to blog.  I keep reading other people's blogs where they are saying the same thing.  It's too hard to sit in on the computer when the days are so nice!  We've been swimming, taking walks, working on picking out tile for our new house (I'll tell you about that later),  doing more social things, e.g., dinner with friends, and just relaxing.  On Saturday, we went to see fireworks! (I've also been working a little.  I'm writing a paper (or two if I can get my act together) and I'm teaching a class in the fall and I want got to get the syllabus done.  It's almost done!)

In the kitchen, I've been trying out some new concoctions and soon I'll share.  I'm experimenting with chocolate to make an excellent vegan summer treat!  It's almost time to share it with the Internet.  I think we're on trial 10 or something like that.  Alas, all the research I have to do to MAKE SURE it's good.  It's a sacrifice. (You're welcome.) 

I've also been working on tofu "meatballs" and I'm close to unveiling that new recipe, too!  I'll even share my Dad's homemade recipe for pasta sauce.  We ate pasta a lot when I was a kid.  He'd make it with and without meat; without is what I do now and I pair it with whole wheat spaghetti--an excellent vegan dish with lots of lycopene for us.

Yesterday, I finally had time to make the tofu cashew mayonnaise that I've been reading about for a while.  It is so good!

My 8-year-old vegan has been missing her mayo; now we have a substitute!  She declared it excellent!  I'm thrilled.  I like it.  It doesn't taste exactly like mayo, or as I remember mayo, but I agree that it is excellent.  I made a 1/2 batch, to try it out, and I'll be making it again. I think the 1/2 batch is a lovely size.  It was enough for 5 sandwiches, plus I put it on two salads (with salsa as a dressing).  We still have a little, but not a lot. We'll get it all eaten in a today or tomorrow and then we won't have to worry about freezing it or anything.  LOVE!

I almost had "nothing" today, but I will share a new drink that I've been enjoying. I drink lots of tea.  I try to drink herbal, but I like and need my caffeine.  Each morning, I have a couple of cups of regular (white, black, or chai), but then I try to drink water or herbal.  However, I never like the herbal stuff as much as the regular, but....

I've just discovered that one lemon ginger tea bag soaked in ice water plus one packet of stevia makes the YUMMIEST lemon-ginger drink.  I'm drinking some now.   I could probably boil the water and make it stronger, with the tea bags, or even fresh ginger and lemons, but this is great--especially on lazy summer days! On my next trip to the store, I'll grab some fresh ginger and try to boil my own, but for now, I'm delighted to use up one of the many different herbal teas that I have!  (I have way too many kinds of tea.  I see new kinds and can't resist them and then I have lots o' tea.)

Here's hoping I can get a new recipe up in the next couple of days.  Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment