Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Coffee

I gave up coffee a couple of years back, but a link to this slide show came to my email box, today. The slide show is called, Coffee: The Original Wonder Drug? 

If you're not a member of Medscape, you won't be able to see the slide show.  I recommend joining Medscape, not just to see this slide show, but to get access to peer-reviewed work in the world of medicine. 

I used to love coffee, but I gave it up because I thought it would be better for me to not drink it.  I still drink caffeine in the form of black and white tea.  However, after viewing the slides I kind of want to drink coffee again.  The benefits that are attributed to coffee include:
  • lower risk of coronary disease--potentially because of antioxidants that reduce oxidation in LDL cholesterol; coffee drinking is also associated with lower inflammatory markers in the blood
  • lower risk of stroke (a meta-analysis showed this)
  • improved glucose metabolism and lower risk of type 2 diabetes
  • increased ability to lose weight
  • reduction in some types of cancer--potentially due to antioxidants and anti-mutagenic properties
  • potentially neuroprotective (less dementia progression in coffee drinkers)
  • lower risk for depression
  • protection for the liver
  • reduced risk for MRSA (also true for tea drinkers)
  • helpful in dry eye syndrome
  • reduced risk for gout
(As I said, get membership in Medscape!)

Coffee's not perfect as the slide show creators end with the associate risks:
  • increased blood pressure
  • causing or worsening anxiety, insomnia, and tremor  
  • potentially elevated risk for glaucoma
What I want to figure out is how many of the benefits of coffee are also associated with tea because of the caffeine.  I may need to add both coffee and tea to my diet for the health benefits.

The slide show also notes that one risk is caffeine withdrawal syndrome; it is being considered as an entry in the DSM-5 because of the debilitating symptoms.  (Just don't quit?)  I'm not ever planning on quitting working out, so maybe it should be the same for caffeine.

No comments:

Post a Comment